Nowadays a great percentage of equine dental extractions are performed non-surgically but should never be taken lightly as complications like dental fractures, retained root tips, collateral damage etc. easily occur. Over the past 20 years minimally-invasive surgical techniques have been developed and have led to a significant reduction of morbidity and mortality in horses.
This highly practical boutique course (max. 18 attendees) was devised for advanced practitioners with surgical experience and surgeons with a good working knowledge/experience in equine dentistry, specifically with dental extractions.
To participate in the On-Location Portion, attendees are required to have first worked through the corresponding online Lecture Series ‘An Introduction to Advanced Surgical Dental Extraction Techniques (incl. MITR, MTE & Segmentation)‘:
- If you have already purchased the Lecture Series independently of the On-Location Portion, please contact the office on email@example.com for a voucher code to reduce the price accordingly.
The panel of internationally renowned specialists will provide an overview on up-to-date, minimally-invasive surgical dental extraction techniques in horses, including minimally-invasive trephination & repulsion (MITR), minimally-invasive transbuccal extraction (MTE) and dental segmentation. They will furthermore be sharing technical tips and tricks and pearls of wisdom that they have accumulated over the many years of performing equine dental surgery.
- Hubert Simhofer – Surgical Anatomy of the Head – 40 min
- Neil Townsend – Modern Extraction Techniques – 55 min
- Neil Townsend – Minimally Invasive Transbuccal Extraction (MTE) – 40 min
- Hubert Simhofer – Minimally Invasive Trephination & Repulsion (MITR) – 40 min
- Richard Reardon – Sinoscopic Examination & Surgery – 50 min
- Richard Reardon – Advanced Imaging of the Head – 50 min
- Hubert Simhofer – Complications of Dental Extractions – 60 min
- Hubert Simhofer – Dental Segmentation – 60 min
- Hubert Simhofer – Sinus Osteotomy & Advanced Surgical Techniques – 60 min
Between both days the 9 hours of practical sessions will provide an intimate environment for attendees to develop their surgical skills on equine specimens in true small groups (2-3 vets per specimen; attendee-to-instructor ratio of 4-6/1) at the following stations:
- Surgical Anatomy of the Head – Sinuses Anatomy, Surgical Approaches, Facial Anatomy & Nerve Blocks
- Minimally Invasive Trephination & Repulsion (MITR)
- Minimally Invasive Transbuccal Extraction (MTE)
- Paranasal Sinuses – Surgical Techniques
- Dental Segmentation Techniques
- Diagnostic Imaging Case-Discussions
The course fee includes, coffee/tea breaks, a wine & cheese reception, lunch and a certificate of attendance. To participate in the On-Location Case-Discussions & Practical Sessions, attendees are required to have first worked through the Lecture Series (included in the price). Early course registration is recommended as there are only a limited number of places available due to the highly practical nature of this course.
* The number of spaces is limited and will be handed out on a first-come first serve basis. Please get in touch in case there is no space left and we can discuss the options with VetPD.